If you’ve ever been stuck in a car with a dead battery, you know that having the key to the car engine can be a lifesaver. But what if the engine is locked? In this article, we’ll show you how to unlock a car engine using just a few simple tools and techniques.
Locate the Key Fob
For most cars, the key fob is in a visible spot such as on the center console. If it’s not there, search the car for a metal box with a tiny hole on one side. Pry off the cover and find the fob.
The fob has a small microchip inside that will require a special code to release the engine. Some automakers make this code available online or through customer service. Others require you to take your car to an authorized service center.
Regardless of how you access the code, be sure to write it down or save it in a safe place. You’ll need it if you ever need to get your car started after it’s been locked out:
“If you have your car keyfob and your ignition is turned off, but the car is still running, you can start the car by inserting the key into the ignition and turning it to ‘Engine Off’ (or on in some models) then pushing and holding down the power button for three seconds.”
Remove the Battery
If your car is locked with a key, the first step is to remove the battery. This will disable the car’s security system and enable you to open the door from the inside.
To remove the battery, follow these steps:
1. Park your car in a safe place. You don’t want to risk getting a ticket if your car gets towed.
2. Turn off all the lights in the car and use a flashlight to find the battery cover. It’s usually near the front or rear of the car on an edge or panel.
3. Pry off the battery cover using a flat-head screwdriver. It should come off easily once you find it.
4. Remove the battery and store it in a safe place out of reach of children.
Open the Door from the Inside
If you find yourself locked out of your car and the engine is still running, there might be a way to open the door from the inside. Turn off the car and remove all of the keys. Next, go to the trunk and open it. There should be a small lever on the back side of the trunk that you can pull to release the latch on the inside of the car door. Once it’s loose, pull it towards you and open the door.
Remove the Tear Drop Panel
The Tear Drop Panel is a removable panel located on the driver’s side of most cars. It’s usually locked with a key or a remote, but there are ways to unlock it if you need to.
There are two ways to remove the Tear Drop Panel: using a key or by using a remote.
To use a key, simply insert the key into the lock and turn it until it clicks. The panel should then pull away from the car.
To use a remote, find the unlock code for your car and enter it into the unlock code box on the Tear Drop Panel. Press the button to confirm your code and the panel should pull away from the car.
Remove the Screws that Hold Down the Backpack Release
You can remove the screws that hold down the backpack release on most cars. This will allow you to open the engine compartment if the car is locked.:
You’ll need a Phillips screwdriver, a hammer, and a wrench.:
1. Locate the screws that secure the backpacks release on your car. They are typically located either near the rear of the car or near the front wheel well.
2. Use your Phillips screwdriver to remove them. Make sure to use a light touch so you don’t damage the surrounding area.
3. Hammer the screws out of their slots with your hammer. Be careful not to damage the surrounding area.
4. Wrench the screws off of their bases using your wrench. Be sure to use enough force so that they come free from their slots and bases.
Pull Out the Backpack Release Button and Reach in and Take Out the Key
There are a few different ways to unlock a locked car engine. The easiest way is to use the backpack release button. This is located in the back of the car near the rear wheel. To reach it, you’ll need to remove the front seat and unfold the backseat. The key should be stored inside the backpack release button.
A second way to unlock a locked car engine is to use a key ring tool. This is a small, metal object with several keys on it. You can find these tools at many auto parts stores or online. Slide each key off of the tool and insert it into the ignition switch on your car. Turn the key until it starts turning, then stop turning it. The engine should now be unlocked.
Insert the Key into the Engine Block and Turn It to Start It
If you have a key that starts your car, insert it into the engine block and turn it to start the car. If you don’t have a key, you’ll need to break open the car’s window or door to get inside.